The Christian Physician's Oath:
With gratitude to God, faith in Christ Jesus, and dependence on the Holy Spirit, I publicly profess my intent to practice medicine for the glory of God.
With humility, I will seek to increase my skills. I will respect those who teach me and who broaden my knowledge. In turn, I will freely impart my knowledge and wisdom to others.
With God's help, I will love those who come to me for healing and comfort. I will honor and care for each patient as a person made in the image of God, putting aside selfish interests, remaining pure and chaste at all times.
With God's guidance, I will endeavor to be a good steward of my skills and of society's resources. I will convey God's love in my relationships with family, friends, and community. I will aspire to reflect God's mercy in caring for the lonely, the poor, the suffering, and the dying.
With God’s direction, I will respect the sanctity of human life. I will care for all my patients, rejecting those interventions that either intentionally destroy or actively end human life, including the unborn, the weak and vulnerable, and the terminally ill.
With God's grace, I will live according to this profession.
The medical profession is not to be taken lightly. For the rest of my life, hundreds of people will literally put their lives in my hands. It is humbling and incredibly frightening to think about. The medical profession also inherently contains the opportunity for corruption. How many doctors have gotten themselves in trouble for self-medicating, drug addictions, etc.? At the same time, what a joy to spend a lifetime studying the handiwork of God and His marvelous creation. As a physician, I want to be like the Great Physician - Jesus Christ. Through Him, I can offer my patients not only physical healing, but spiritual healing through salvation as well. My prayer is that my life will be (even in medicine) a reflection of my great God and Savior living through me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jon,
You will make a great doctor! I remember you delighting in dissecting mice and snakes as a young lad. It has been a treasured experience, seeing your human cadaver dissection over the course of this past semester. Your sensitiveness to other people and your faith in the Great Physician will bring out the abilities that you have been given. Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment